Sunday, December 16, 2018

a tentative return...

It's been more than 10 months since I've posted here!!  But, as we all know... Life happens.  Things come up.  Things change.

I run into so many people around town who ask, "What happened to the weather blog?"  My short answer is, "I've been busy doing other things..."  But there is a longer answer which I don't share often, and that has to do with the fact that monitoring weather and really being on top of it is a 24/7 kind of thing.  For seven years I allowed weather patterns and thermometers and rain gauges and blog posts and computer model data online to pretty much dominate and consume me.  As much as i love weather, I must admit that I got burned out on being obsessed with all the details and ins and outs and ups and downs of weather conditions that are dynamic and ever-changing -- day in and day out.  Unfortunately, I lost my enthusiasm and mojo, and just needed to get away from it all and think about other things going on in my life and all around me.

I was 'out of station' (as they say), out of McLeod Ganj, out of India... for about five months during 2018.  Most of that time (four months), I was back in the US with my family, and being available to assist my mom and dad in the wake of a stroke that my dad experienced late this summer.  I returned to McLeod a couple of weeks ago, and my current plans are to be here until about the middle of April.

Already since I returned earlier this month I have been monitoring local temperatures and precipitation and all the data being spewed out by big number-crunching computer models that provide the raw forecast information fed into and digested by modern weather apps.  And I am surprising myself by considering that I just might start blogging again during these upcoming few months of the winter and early spring seasons.

I am aware of the demographics of traffic patterns here on my blog.  There is a lot of random activity... impersonal and consumer/consumption/critically oriented.  But I also know that there is a small percentage of you that are true local weather geeks.  Friends.  Supporters.  And you are the reason I am here...  Thank you.